Monday, March 14, 2011

{ drink coasters }

I have seriously been looking for drink coasters that would match my living room for a year. I didn't want paper coasters, but the nice ceramic ones! When you live in Hawaii most items are found in "Aloha" print. And in the case of ceramic coasters, all I could find was honu and hibiscus! Not only that, but they were nearly $20 for a set of 4! Well.... That isn't really what I wanted for my space so I have had to improvise!


     What you'll need:
*4 ceramic tile, not the glazed shiny kind ( I actually used natural stone. I got 9 for $3.50!)
*Rubber stamp(s) of your choice
*Ink pad ( I recommend a stay on ink that won't run or bleed when wet, like StazOn ink pads)
*clear acrylic sealer ( I use Mod Podge brand )
*Felt
*Hot glue

Alright! So you start with your tile!



You simply stamp whatever you want onto your tile. I randomly put some flowers on mine. I was glad I ended up with extra tile because I experimented on a couple before I decided exactly what I wanted.


Once you've inked your image you will want to let it dry for 30 min or so. Then take them outside and spray them! Be light with the first coat just to ensure your ink doesn't bleed. Additional coats can be thicker. I sprayed 4 coats on mine with 15 min of dry time in between each coat.

Last step.... Hot glue some felt to the bottom of your tile to save your table from scratches! You can cover the whole bottom with a felt square or just do a felt circle on each corner and maybe one in the middle for good measure!


You're done! Simple, right?! I thought this would be cute to give as a gift, too! My baby sister is getting married in a few months and how cute would it be to throw a bundle of these in with some home decor that matches perfectly to what she'll want in her home!

No comments: