Wednesday, March 16, 2011

{ book page wreath }

I'm currently redoing two rooms in my house; the bathroom and the kids room. It usually takes me months to complete a room because it takes me so long to find exactly what I want in it. I chose to do my bathroom in brown, cream/ivory, and pink. Not bright pink but a dusty, muted, old fashioned looking pink. The theme? Vintage. Luckily, last week, I came across a wreath made out of the pages of an old book! I fell in love! This one was made by Mandy Sybrowsky, blogger for Little Birdie Secrets. You can see it here, on page 8, in Latter Day Woman magazine. What a cute idea!!! So that is what I spent my morning doing!


What you'll need:
  1.  A wreath form ( got mine from Ben Franklin Crafts, $5)
  2. An old book with yellowing of the pages ( I picked up a book for .99 at Good Will )
  3. Hot glue

Alright, I bought a 400 page book and used half of the pages. I tore all my pages out before I started so the gluing would go more smoothly. You will be rolling/folding your pages individually though. It doesn't matter how you do it but it's cute to do them all different.

Take your form and start gluing your rolled/folded paper down one by one. You wrap the paper down the outside like so.

Once you've made it all the way around, you start a second row. This time you are just going to scoot your starting point back about an inch. This will create a shorter layer and also start to cover the inside of the form. I alternated the second row so they were placed in between the paper on the first row. Continue with a third and fourth row, moving your starting point back an inch on each.

When I got to the fifth and final row, I began to fold my paper a little differently. By folding the rolled piece into a tight V,  it saved a little extra time and used half the paper for this row. By the fifth row, your pages should be sticking almost straight up. You could do more rows though! You don't have to do just 5. The more rows, the fuller the wreath!
And this is what the back should look like...
And you're done! I am sooo happy with how this looks! I will be hanging it in my bathroom eventually! Not sure which wall to put it on. Might need to make another on to hang them across from each other on either side of the double sink! I'll post pictures once it's up permanently!

No comments: