Friday, March 18, 2011

{ book page ball }

I'm am just so in love with the idea of using pages from old books to decorate! It creates such a cute look! I bought two black ceramic balls from Ross a year ago to put in my living/dining area and since have taken them down. I am trying to add a little more color because I already have enough solid black in here! One ended up breaking so I just have this lonesome black ball. Well... I decided to make it new again!

What you'll need:
  • The lonesome ball (or any ball, box, frame, or whatever you want covered)
  • About 6 pages torn from an old book
  • Ink pad
  • Mod Podge
  • Foam brush
Here is the ball before. Pretty dark...

Start by brushing a layer of Mod Podge onto one page from your book.

Now place it down on your ball. Smooth it from the center of the page out to the ends. The ends will ripple and/or crease. Just press them down, it will add more character! Keep pressing and molding the page for about 30 sec to be sure it is stuck.

Now add more pages in different directions.

Cover all the black. When I reached the bottom I ripped the pages a little smaller to fit the area. Now just press a little long for good measure! Let It dry for about 15 min.

My ball had some cute swirls that stood up and I liked that. So I used my ink pad and just rocked it front to back along the whole ball.

The parts that stood up got inked. It also darkened the ripples and folds on the edges of the pages.This added more depth to it! I let the inked ball sit for anther 5 min.

Last, you need to put Mod Podge over the entire ball. This is going to seal everything up. It also makes it MUCH easier to clean and dust when it needs it. Let it dry for 30 min!  You can follow up with a clear acrylic sealer too.

Here is the finished and newly refurbished ball!



No comments: