Monday, March 21, 2011

{ hair bow organizer }

My daughter has a LOT of hair bows and flowers. Most of them are pretty big and it's hard to find a place for them without cluttering! At one point she had a drawer in her dresser dedicated to just hair accessories. But, after a few spring cleanings, I realized that she had more stuff than I thought! There were all these cute flowers and bows at the bottom that I forgot about and plenty of poms that were smashed and not fluffy any more. So... now that my daughter is 3 years old, I have finally made a place to put them!

What you'll need,
  • A new or used large picture frame ( mine is from goodwill, $.99)
  • Patterned paper to match ( I used paper from the My Mind's Eye, Tres Belle collection)
  • Mod Podge
  • Foam brush
  • Ribbon
  • Hot glue gun
I used a metal frame that was already the color that I wanted. If you buy a wooden frame, you may or may not want to paint it first depending on what you want it to match.
First step is to cut your paper to the size of the glass in the frame. My frame was pretty big so I used 2 pieces of 12x12 paper cut to fit.
Next step is to glue down your paper. You will want to spread Mod Podge over the back side of your paper. Then press it down to the glass. Be careful when you place it down because It isn't easy to move. If you do need to move it, I recommend sliding the paper, not lifting it back up.

Once all of your paper is down and the glass is completely covered, you need to let it dry for 15 min at least. Once it has had plenty time to dry, you need to apply a coat of Mod Podge over the top of your paper to protect it. Let this dry at least 15 min. I let mine dry for 30.

Now you can put your ribbon on. This is where your clips and bows will attach. Cut them the length of the frame plus a few inches so that it can wrap around the backside of the glass and be glued there. I used 4 ribbons length wise. Glue the end to the top back, then wrap it tight down the front of the glass and glue it to the back on the bottom.

Now put your glass back in the frame! I added some little green bows at the bottoms of each ribbon just cause it was cute! You're done! I hung mine on the inside of the closet door in my bathroom.




This would be so cute with a really chunky frame! OR even with a picture of your sweet girl behind the glass ( with no paper on it)!!

1 comment:

Calley said...

Cute! Did you see my bow holder on my blog? I think I need to make one of yours too cuz my shutter shack is full.