Friday, June 17, 2011

{ fabric carnation }

This cute flower is so cute on headbands, hats, clips, broaches and even as wall decor! I made a few of these cuties to put on the wall in my bathroom! They look so classy and chic! If you like girly stuff... you're going to love making these! :)

What you'll need:
  1. Fabric
  2. Hot glue
  3. Cardboard or felt (for backing)
  4. Scissors
Start by deciding how big you want your flower. I made these about 4 inches in
diameter. They are quite big but I want them to be bold on my wall.
Trace a circle onto your backing and cut it out. I used the cardboard
from a case of water. If you're making your flower for a headband, I would
go with the felt.

Now use your cardboard backing as a pattern and cut out circles from your fabric.
They don't have to be perfect! I used 6 fabric circles on each of my flowers.
The more you use the fuller the flower.

Now pinch the center of your circle and make a cone with it. You can fold it neatly or
just squish it together for a ruffled look. I like to go for the squishing technique.

Dab a good amount of hot glue to the point of your cone and place it in the
center of your cardboard backing.

Continue with the remaining fabric circles spiralling around the center until
it is full enough for your liking.

I put a pink pearl into the center of mine. I just opened the center circle and
put the pearl in there using some hot glue.

The last step is to trim your backing so you can't see it from the front!

For a hair accessory, you can simply attach an alligator clip to the back of your
felt backed flower, for a broach, attach a broach pin, etc.
Here are a few smaller, fuller ones that I have made for my daughter..

Here is a little preview of the collage they are going to be a part of....

No comments: