Monday, June 20, 2011

{ wall vase }

I'm in the process of decorating my bathroom (finally). I am going for a
shabby chic/vintage/cottage look! Here's a little wall vase project I
 threw together this week for my wall collage. They turned out so cute and
they were so easy! And because I made them from things I found around the
house, they didn't cost me a penny! That is my kind of project!

What you'll need:
  1. Pint canning jar
  2. 9x4 1/2x1 piece of wood (these measurements don't have to be exact)
  3. Wire and cutters
  4. Paint and sand paper
  5. 1 large head screw and screw driver
Start by painting your wood piece. I chose to use an antique white.

Once your base coat is dry, take a piece of sand paper and sand 
around the edges of your board to remove some of the paint and reveal the raw
wood beneath.

Now, use a darker color (I used burnt umber) to antique the edges. I like 
to use about 1 part paint to 2 or 3 parts water. I also prefer to use 
a rag to apply the color instead of a paint brush. This way you can wipe
and reapply with the same thing.
Dip your rag into the watered down paint and simply rub it onto the edges
that you just sanded. you can wipe it off or add more as you
like. Don't try to make it perfect! The messier and uneven it looks, 
the more original it will look. Let it dry.


Now take your canning jar and start wrapping your wire around
the top of the jar. I wrapped mine 3 times around. Now clip the wire and
twist the two ends together. Tighten it with needle nose pliers.


I wrapped the loose ends back around the original hoop. You should end up
with this area perfect for a screw.


Now attach your hoop to your board! The large head screw will pinch the
wire hoop in between itself and the board. Now add a hanger to the back
and slip your jar into the hoop!


Add flowers, sea shells, candles or even pot pourri!


You may recognize some of these piece from older posts! Look here
to learn to make these vintage style keys and here to learn
to make the cute fabric carnations!

No comments: