Tuesday, September 27, 2011

{ iced coffee } recipe

I am not an avid coffee drinker, but I do enjoy a cup
once in a while. When I do, I need two creamers
and 5 sugars! :) I want my coffee to be mostly sweet!
And I do prefer it to be cold; iced or blended!
I came across this iced coffee recipe on Pintrest (I'm addicted)
and had to try it! Click here for the original link!


There are two parts to the recipe! There's the concentrated
coffee and the sweet cream. Hope you like!

Coffee Concentrate
Ingredients:
  • 1 gallon of water (preferably bottled)
  • 16 oz. bag of COARSE ground coffee
  • Coffee filters or several layers of cheesecloth

I've been told coffee is better when it is cold brewed. When
you cold brew, the coffee isn't as bitter or acidic! It's the best way
to have iced and blended coffee! The process takes time
but is worth the result!

Directions:
Get a very large bowl and pour your water into it. I didn't
have a bowl big enough for a gallon of water and the coffee so I
used two large bowls.
Pour your coffee grounds directly into the water. Make
sure you stir it to get all of the coffee wet. This mixture
looks something like mud! :)
My neighbors daughter thought I was making brownies!


 
Cover your bowl and leave at room temperature
 for about 12 hours or overnight.


 
Now that your coffee has had time to brew, you have to
strain all of the grounds out. This is why coarse
ground coffee works best. Most of it will
have settled to the bottom so try not
to stir it up too much and it will make the straining
process much faster.

Line a strainer with coffee filter(s).


Then place your strainer over a pitcher.


 
Use a ladle to poor the coffee into the filter.
I fit two to three ladles full each time. I recommend
changing your filter out after each fill. It will filter faster
and cleaner this way.

This part takes a while! I just walked away and
did my usual stuff in between filtering.


 
Once I was done filtering I poured my coffee
back into the gallon jug that I bought my water in!



This is pretty strong coffee! So beware before
drinking straight! :) This coffee will stay good
in your fridge for a MONTH!


Sweet Cream
Ingredients:
  • 12 oz can of evaporated milk
  • 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
Directions:
You simply combine the two cans of milk!

The sweetened condensed milk is thick so make sure you
get it mixed in well. Refrigerate. I put mine in a water
bottle!

Iced Coffee

Directions:

Fill your glass full of ice.

 Pour coffee
concentrate over ice until glass is a little more that
half full.


Now fill your glass the rest of the way with your
sweet cream!


Stir and Enjoy!


For a blended coffee, pour into a blender!

You can add a little vanilla extract, chocolate syrup
or caramel! And it would be fantastic with some homemade
whipped cream on top! :)
FYI
For all of my ingredients, I spent about $10! I can't even
buy 2 iced or blended coffees from Starbucks
 (or even McDonald's) for that price!
 I LOVE saving money! :)

No comments: