Tuesday, October 4, 2011

{ homemade magnets }

A house is not a home unless you have refrigerator magnets!
This may or may not be true but I can
tell you that the magnets I have are not a pretty sight! My
collection is mostly made up of those advertisement magnets from the
front of  phone books, ABC's and farm animals!
I know... yours are too!
ha ha.....I got a wild hair and decided that magnets
CAN look nice and even MATCH each other!


Does your fridge look anything like this? :)



Flower magnet
What you'll need:
1. Fabric & scissors
2. Hot glue
3. Magnet buttons (small round magnets)

I just made a shirt the other day and have these
scraps left over! The fabric will be perfect for my
kitchen!

these flowers, I cut about 20 fabric circles for each.


I have shown these carnation type flowers once before on A Lott Of Ideas.
They are very simple! The only difference is that I have used a
magnet for the backing and it's much smaller.
Click here for full instructions




Clothes pin magnets

What you'll need:
  1. Page from an old book ( or any patterned paper you love)
  2. Magnetic sheet with adhesive backing
  3. Mod Podge and small paint brush
  4. Clothes pins
  5. Ink and embellishments ( optional)
Place your wooden clothes pin on top of your
paper and trace it. Then cut it out and trim to fit.


Now place the clothes pin on the magnet sheet. Trace
and cut.

Use Mod Podge to attach your paper to one side
of your clothes pin. Allow it to dry 15 min. I used
some ink to add a vintage look to my paper edges at
this point.




Remove adhesive backing from your magnet
strip and attach it to the other side of your clothes
pin.



Once your Mod Podge has dried, add a layer of
Mod Podge on top of your paper to protect and
seal it.


I don't make very many things without embellishments
so I added a tiny rosette to the tops of each clothes pin!
For instructions on how to make these cuties, click here!




Now that I've replaced all of my old advertisement magnets
and given my kids back their ABC's and farm animals ( and
thrown out all the junk that didn't need to be saved), my fridge
looks so clean and organized!



And the kids are happy to have their stuff back! :)



No comments: