Tuesday, September 20, 2011

{ sopapillas } recipe

Ryker had his ohana project due at school this week. He
was asked to bring a snack that pertained to his
ethnicity.... ummm.. OK... O_o  After I panicked for a second I
called my dad and said, " should I make nachos or something?"
He suggested I make those cinnamon-sugar things that you
can get from ANY Mexican restaurant. DUH! What 5 or 6 year old
would want nachos over sugar? None! So that's what I made!
BTW: they aren't called cinnamon-sugar things! They are
called sopapillas!

Ingredients:
  • Tortillas ( I use 100% whole wheat)
  • oil for frying
  • your own cinnamon sugar mixture
  • zip-lock bag
Put cinnamon-sugar mixture into a zip-lock bag and set aside.
You only need a little cinnamon compared to the amount
of sugar. Maybe one cup sugar and a tbsp cinnamon.


So first I took a pizza cutter and cut my tortillas into half inch
strips. Then I cut them in half so they weren't so long.

Next, heat a small amount of oil in a frying pan. I used about
1/8 cup. Don't get it too hot! These cook so fast! I'd put your
temp about half way between low and medium heat!

Now lay your tortilla strips in the hot oil. You will see the edges
start to brown and the center start to bubble VERY quickly!

Turn them and let them brown on the other side.

Once both sides have browned, take them out and set them on a
paper towel for a moment to soak up some of the oil. Then put
into you cinnamon-sugar filled zip-lock. Close it and shake
to coat the strips in sweetness.


Remove from the bag and eat!

I also made little square ones! They reminded me of
that cinnamon cereal! :)
Thanks Dad! :) I love you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kandis,

Love your work on A Lott of Ideas! And I wanted to personally invite you to be one of the top cooking Advisors on ShopSquad, a free shopping advice website where shoppers and your readers can ask Advisors (i.e. you!) for advice.

If you recommend something that is purchased, from cookware to appliances to kitchen gadgets, you get a percentage of the sale. You're already sharing your expertise through your blog, so why not earn more money for it? You can also earn $5 for each of your readers who signs up.

Read our great press coverage (http://www.shopsquad.com/about?vsrc=fd921) or learn how ShopSquad works (http://www.shopsquad.com/howitworks?vsrc=fd921). When you're ready, sign up free at www.shopsquad.com.

Feel free to ask me any questions: marshall@shopsquad.com. Thanks!