Friday, November 18, 2011

{ fabulous eggnog } recipe

So, when I make something, I usually have a pretty
clear view of what I'm trying make ( usually)!
Take eggnog for example...I am looking for a very
specific flavor and texture. Well, I found it!
I was searching the web and making eggnog like crazy!
Last night I tried an Eggnog recipe
that will be  put into my recipe book for good!
I won't be looking for any more recipes because
this, my friends, is fabulous!
Enjoy!

Ingredients:

  • 4 egg yolks
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 cups milk
  • 2 whole cloves
  • Pinch of cinnamon
  • 1 cup cream
  • 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 Tbsp each of bourbon and rum or brandy,
  •                                                or to taste (optional)


    Directions:
    Start out by beating the egg yolk  well. Then slowly add
    the sugar to the eggs and beat until it's fluffy.

    In a saucepan, combine milk, cinnamon ( I added a lot
    more than a pinch.. mmmm), and cloves.
    I didn't have cloves and I wasn't about to drive to
    the store just for that, so I didn't put them in!
    My eggnog still turned out incredible!
    Slowly heat on medium until mixture is steaming
    hot. Do not let it boil!

    Temper the eggs.
     This part is pretty important so pay attention! lol
    You are going to slowly pour half of the hot milk
    into  your eggs! While you pour, you need to
    constantly be whisking so that you don't heat
    the eggs too quickly! You don't want to scramble
    them!

    Now add the egg mixture back into the pot.
    Continue heating, stirring constantly, over medium
    heat until mixture begins to thicken and
    coats the backside of a spoon.

    Remove from heat and add cream. Mix well.
    Strain eggnog to remove cloves. Let it cool for
    one hour and then add the vanilla,
    nutmeg, and rum (again, the rum is optional!
    Just don't put it in if you don't want it!)


    Chill and serve.


    Yield: 1 quart
    Thank you to Elise for her post at Simply Recipes!

    No comments: