Wednesday, November 16, 2011

{ whipped eggnog } recipe

I love the holidays! And for so many reasons! I love
that families seem so much closer, that people seem to show
more compassion toward each other and that there
is so much tasty food to be cooked! :)
One of my favorite tasty items is eggnog! Oh how
I wish it was available all year at the grocery store!
But, since it isn't, I've decided to give making this 
delicious beverage a try! Yes, I'm a first timer in
 eggnog making! And I'm sure I'll try a lot
of recipes just because that's what I like to do!
Here's my first!


A creamy, fluffy, thick, whipped version of eggnog! And since I
prefer drinking my eggnog mixed with milk, this thick
recipe is perfect!

I chose to try this one because I had all but one ingredient
already on hand! So it cost me less to make it! Hope you
try it! Hope you enjoy it!

Ingredients:
  • 3 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 1/3 c. white sugar
  • salt to taste
  • 2 1/2 c. milk
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 c. heavy whipping cream
  • 2 tbsp. confectioners sugar
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
  • 1/2 c. rum (optional)
  • 2 drops yellow food coloring (optional)
Alright!

Directions:

Start by combining egg, white sugar, and salt ( just a sprinkle)
in a medium saucepan.

Gradually stir in milk.

Stirring constantly, cook for 10-15 minutes
on medium heat; until mixture just coats a metal spoon.
( Please stir constantly! If you
don't, you will most likely end up with very sweet
and fluffy scrambled eggs! I'm serious! Stirring is pretty
important in this step! Keep the liquid moving!)


Remove saucepan from heat. Add 1 tsp. vanilla; stir.


Place the saucepan in a sink of cold water just long enough
to cool the custard.

Now cover and put it in the fridge until chilled.
( put an empty bowl in the freezer while you're here.
You'll need it later!)



In a chilled bowl (the one that was in the freezer), combine
heavy whipping cream, confectioners sugar, nutmeg and
1/2 tsp. vanilla.

Beat until stiff peaks form. It should take about 5 min
to get the right consistency here ( unless your electric
mixer isn't broken, like mine). It will be just like whipped cream.
 If you think you have it, just dip the tip of your
mixer in and if  the whipped cream stands up you're done.


Stir in rum and yellow food coloring at this point. I didn't
use either of these options in mine! You can
add milk instead of rum . It will
thin the eggnog a little!


Fold the whipped cream mixture into the chilled custard.
(basically, you're just gently stirring!)

Poor into a serving bowl or pitcher! Sprinkle with
nutmeg and cinnamon!



With a little homemade whipped cream on top! :)
Happiness in a cup!



If, by chance, you end up with little scrambled egg pieces
in your eggnog, you can just strain them out after you
remove your custard from the heat!
 If it'stoo fluffy for you, just add milk until it's right! :)
And don't forget to mix it well before drinking!

Yield:   about 4 cups

1 comment:

Franc said...

Looks and sounds delicious!!!!