Tuesday, January 3, 2012

{ shabby chic bedroom furniture } old new again

I've finally started on my bedroom! I'm really excited
to get it done! The only thing I'm having trouble with is deciding
what color to paint the walls. In the meantime, I've
got a few projects to finish anyway. This weekend
I re-painted my dresser and nightstands. When we
first bought them (second hand), we had painted them black
because at the time I really didn't have an idea
of how the bedroom would be decorated. 
And now that I've redone them, I LOVE them! 

(don't mind that my bed isn't made)

This is an inexpensive way to make your
furniture fit your decor without having to go
out and buy new pieces. 

What you'll need:
*  A pint of flat paint.
* Paintbrush and small roller
* 120 grit sand paper

Here's the nightstand. Go ahead and take the
drawers out. I wanted to paint my hardware
to give it that worn vintage look as well. 
Depending on your preferences, you
can tape the hinges off or remove the doors
and hinges until after you've painted.

Use some sandpaper and scuff up the finish a bit. This
helps the paint stick. Wipe off the dust.

Lay down some newspaper or a drop cloth under
the nightstand to avoid a mess.

If you're lucky, you'll find one of these, too! Score!

I used BEHR's antique white, interior flat paint.
I've found that gloss paints peel off really easy. 

Using your roller, paint your surface completely. I like to
avoid the paint tray when using this little roller. 
You can just dip it into the can and let it drip off a 
little. Way easier and less mess to clean up.

You may have crevices that you can't get with the roller.

 Use your paintbrush for these parts. 


The first coat will be thin, especially if your
going from as dark as I did, to as light as I did.
Once the first coat is dry, add a second coat.

DO NOT put a second coat of paint on until
the first coat is not longer tacky. If you try
to add a second coat before the first is dry, it will
just lift the first coat.

I recommend you let the second coat dry over night. 
If you are going to sand your piece of furniture,
it will gum up if it isn't completely dry.

Now it's time to age your piece. Use your sandpaper
and scuff up the new paint. Focus on the edges, corners
and other details in the wood.

 You don't have to sand every part. I like to make 
it look less intentional and more natural. Have fun
with it! Don't worry about making it perfect.

Here are a few more detail shots.




If you've used newspaper, it's probably stuck to the 
bottom of your nightstand. 

 Just use your sandpaper and sand it off! 

Make sure you use a rag and wipe off all the dust
from sanding before bringing it into the house. Put
your drawers back in and put your doors and 
hinges back on if you removed them.

This is an easy way to make your old furniture
new again. Total cost to redo 2 night stands, a dresser
and a headboard:  $15


Enjoy!




1 comment:

TaNifa said...

WHAT?! YOU DIDN'T MAKE YOUR BED? On a serious note, this is really creative and a simple, yet detailed explanation. I admire your creations girl! Keep them coming :)