Friday, October 12, 2012

{ witch hat door decor }

No Halloween wreath this year. I couldn't think of anything and October 
kind of snuck up on me. When I lived in Utah I had made a very
similar (OK, almost exact) project. I believe my mother-in-law is the 
rightful owner of it now. I really did love it though so I made myself another!

What you'll need:
* 1/8 inch thick sheet of wood
* pencil
*  scroll saw
* dremel (optional)
* sander
* paint
* drill
* wire

Ok, I just free-handed what I wanted out onto the board. I 
have a witches hat, spider, and sign board.

Cut the important pieces out.

I drew on the details with a pencil.

I then used my dremel sander tool to round the edges and also
to add dimension in the detailed parts. 
Now paint.

Before I painted my spider, I drilled 9 holes into it. One a top center,
 and then four on either side. This is where his legs will be so drill 
them where you think they'll look best.

I cut 4 pieces of wire, each about 5 inches long. 
Thread one through the first leg hole and out the hole directly next to it.


Repeat in the next two holes and then on the other side of the spider.
Use a pair of needle nose pliers to 'zigzag' the legs.

Drill holes on each end of the sign board. Then center it  along
the base of the witch hat. Mark on the witch hat directly above the
holes on the sign. Drill these also. Connect with a long piece of wire.

Use a pencil to wrap the excess wire around to create curly-cues.


Drill a hole in point of the witches hat and attach the spider with wire.
Add vinyl or paint your own saying or quote.

Attach a hanger to the back of the hat and hang it on your door.



1 comment:

Mélanie said...

I like this so much I made a witch and finally add your spidre on it, the result is really nice I wish you could see it!!! :) I like the idea of using a tool to cut into the hat too. I might buy one like this!

Thanks you, so inspiring!!

Mélanie, Québec,CA