Thursday, October 20, 2011

{ crackled clock }

This DIY project is fun! I made one of these
clocks for my living room a few years ago. It is
3 feet in diameter and I love it (everyone always
asks if it really works)! The clocks I'm showing you
today do NOT really work! They are just for
decoration on my Halloween shelf!

What you'll need:

  1. A bowl
  2. Thin wood or cardboard (and a way to cut it out)
  3. Contrasting paint ( black and white)
  4. Magic marker or vinyl

Start by tracing your bowls onto your wood or cardboard.
Cut out your circle. If you use wood ( I did) you will
want to sand the edges smooth.



Now paint your circle with the dark paint. I used black
spray paint for my dark layer.

Once that has dried, apply your crackle paint or Elmer's
glue! For full instructions on how to use Elmer's glue
as a crackling paint, click here!

Don't let this layer dry all the way. When it is tacky but
not really wet, apply your second color of paint. I
used antique white acrylic paint. Try not to use a
lot of brush strokes.

Once it begins to dry, you will start to see the
cracks in your white paint and the black will
 show through.

I also smeared a little black paint around the
edges to separate the light color against my light
color walls.


Once the paint was completely dry, I  marked
around the circle where the number should be.
Then used black Sharpie to write the numbers.
This is for my Halloween decor so i wanted
it to look... well... a little creepy I guess!
I used tally marks for my numbers
on one and roman numerals on the other.

If you're making this clock to "really work", then
you can cut vinyl numbers with your Cricut or
purchase them from a vinyl or T-shirt shop.
(This is my real clock)
Next you have to find the center of your circle.
Mark it. I just drew hands onto my fake clocks.
Again, if you're making yours to "really work",
you can purchase a clock mechanism from Ben
Franklin crafts for cheap! They even carry ones big enough
for a 3 foot clock!

That's it! If you want to hang it, add a hanger to the back.
Mine are just propped up on the shelf.


No comments: